I finished Juliet, Naked, Nick Hornby’s newest book. It was okay, but it ended so abruptly. The last 3 books I’ve read have seemed as if the author was under the gun to meet a deadline. Which means I’ve thrown all of them down in frustration and then spent the rest of the day trying to create the ending I wanted for the book.
I’m now reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White. No abrupt endings in this one, it goes on for better than 600 pages! I’m loving it so far. How did I never read it before?
On a totally unrelated note, the Confirmation kids (and families) are taking dinner to the local Ronald McDonald House tonight. It is such a great thing for the kids to do and it never fails to make me want to grab my boys and squeeze them tight and thank the Creator that they are healthy and happy. As we were discussing the menu, I offered that it could be that some of those folks staying at the House could be looking for a more healthy option or maybe were vegetarian. And I offered to bring something that would fit both-
Black Bean and Rice Confetti Salad
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth [vegetable broth for vegetarian option]
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (1 lb) package long-grain rice (2 cups uncooked) [I use brown rice, which takes longer to cook]
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced [I use one bunch of green onions]
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add rice and bay leaves.
- Bring back to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes for white rice. Brown rice takes about 40-50 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. If there is time, chill rice overnight.
- Mix in black beans, peppers, onion, chopped cilantro, oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin and chili powder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled.
Makes 12 servings. One serving is 5 points, but I only eat 1/12th of this if it’s an entree. Hope you enjoy!
How true is this? “We cannot build the future by avenging the past.” -T.H. White, The Once and Future King